[tlbuild] duplicates in win32

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 15 00:15:33 CEST 2010

On 14 June 2010 George N. White III wrote:

 > Some sites have the texmf trees on shared, noexecute, storage.  Others
 > will systematically disable execute permissions in "data" directories.
 > Perhaps wrappers that give the script as an argument to the appropriate
 > program are needed for all platforms., not only Windows.

We definitely do not want to replace symlinks by wrappers.  We need
wrappers for Windows and this is already painful enough.

We also don't want to provide solutions for constructed problems which
only exist in your mind (this is not meant as unpolitely as it sounds).

There are scripts in the texmf trees and if someone insists on making
the texmf trees non-executable, he obviously did something wrong.  But
I don't know whether anybody wants this at all.  There are very few
people who install TeX Live theirselves, most people simply use what
their Linux distributions provide.  In enterprise environments the
situation is even more relaxed: They install something like CentOS,
for instance, and aren't interested in software updates at all.  They
want to install once and only apply security fixes later.

However, if someone really wants to make the texmf trees non-executable,
it's easy enough to write a script which replaces symlinks by the
actual files.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25