[tlbuild] Building xindy for TL2010: two questions

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jun 10 11:43:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> PB> these are just the defaults, but you can always specify ./Build
> PB> --disable-xindy-rules .....
>
> Peter, please clarify, in which situations
> ./Build --disable-xindy-rules
> differs from
> ./Build
> ?

Hi all,

(1) Build basically analyzes a bunch of TL_* environment variables, then
invokes configure with all arguments passed to Build plus a few ones added
by Build (e.g., --prefix and --datadir), and finally invokes make.  You
certainly can all work out the details.

(2) The configure options are (should be) explained in README.config.
Please let me know if this information is insufficient and/or inaccurate.
Here just a few details:

texlive-build: automatically enabled at the TL top-level and passed
to all subdirectories, can't be disabled.

most options not specified explicitly are assigned default values at the TL
top-level and passed explicitly to all subdirectories.

native-texlive-build (default enabled). When this option is enabled, you
can't use '--enable-shared' (build libkpathsea and libptexenc as shared
libraries) nor replace any library in th TL tree by an installed version.

With '--disable-native-texlive-build' you can replace almost all libraries
in the TL tree by installed versions, including libkpathsea and libptexenc
or build these two as shared libraries.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>