[tlbuild] Building failure[xindy]

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:36:33 CEST 2010

On 5/18/2010 8:49 AM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010, Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the explanation, Peter. So it seems that the real problem
>> is that clisp (as built OOTB on Cygwin) outputs DOS line endings. ...
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> are cygwin programs generally expected to produce unix or dos line endings?

Hi Peter,

Cygwin programs are expected to produce unix line endings.  The clisp
build must do something special (and wrong, IMHO) to get dos line endings.

>> .... I just took a look at your most recent change (r18328), and I
>> think the problem is back. I didn't try to build texlive, but I tested
>> line 86 of configure.ac, and the variable LISP_RUN contains a spurious
>> carriage return.
>
> That looks bad and the build will probably fail. Piping the output from
> clisp through cat (or something similar) should strip the carriage
> return. Could you test this?

Piping the output through cat doesn't help.  But there's a utility
called dos2unix that strips carriage returns.  I don't know how portable
that is.  Is it available on all unix-like systems?  I just checked that
it exists on a RedHat linux system that I have access to.

Regards,

Ken