[tlbuild] Building failure[xindy]

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:15:13 CEST 2010

On 5/18/2010 4:11 AM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010, Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> Would you mind explaining briefly what the issue was? Cygwin tries to
>> emulate linux; if its bash shell behaves differently than linux's, I'd
>> like to report that to the Cygwin developers.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> The problem is, that the clisp command creates two lines of output.
>
> At first I was puzzled by this, because I tried various things such as
> xx=`echo foo; echo`; echo "xx=\"$xx\""
> or
> xx="`echo foo; echo`"; echo "xx=\"$xx\""
> and always got xx="foo" under both linux's bash 4.1.2(1) and cygwin's 3.x.x
>
> I finally realized that the problem was due to the funny (f***ing) line
> ends. I created a file f with two lines 'foo' and '', and did xx=`cat f`.
>
> With unix line ends I got xx="foo" but there was a line break in the result
> with dosish line ends (under both linux and cygwin).
>
> The bash manpages says: ... with any trailing newlines deleted
> but doesn't mention carriage return. So all this is probably consistent
> with the specs.

Thanks for the explanation, Peter.  So it seems that the real problem is
that clisp (as built OOTB on Cygwin) outputs DOS line endings.  I just
took a look at your most recent change (r18328), and I think the problem
is back.  I didn't try to build texlive, but I tested line 86 of
configure.ac, and the variable LISP_RUN contains a spurious carriage return.

Ken

P.S. At some point I'll try to figure out what's going on with the
Cygwin build of clisp, but I don't have time to do that right now.