[tlbuild] building TL on SuSE fails

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 2 16:36:43 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 14:01, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2010, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Do you have a libfontconfig-dev package (or whatever that's called on
>> SuSE) installed?  Does configure find fontconfig?  It looks like that must
>> be missing - which ought really to be a configure-time error, I suppose,
>> rather than proceeding to compile a bunch of stuff and then failing to
>> link.
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> absolutely right, and I suspect something funny happend earlier (see below).

Thanks a lot for the observation. One should install a filter

    if(Mojca reports non-working XeTeX compilation)
        return "try to install fontconfig-dev" :)

on tug mailing lists :)

I'll try to figure out how to install a package on that machine (it's not mine).

>> On 2 May 2010, at 12:13, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> you don't need to consider this too seriously (it should not be a
>>> showstopper since you already compile on another flavour of linux
>>> anyway). When I try to build TL on SuSE 8.0 (or 8.2, not sure), I get
>>> the following error:
>>>
>>> Making all in tests
>>> make[4]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/gardener/soft/tlsource/source/texk/xdvik/tests'
>>> make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>>> make[4]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/gardener/soft/tlsource/source/texk/xdvik/tests'
>>> make[3]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/gardener/soft/tlsource/source/texk/xdvik'
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/gardener/soft/tlsource/source/texk/xdvik'
>>> Making all in xdvipdfmx
>>> make[2]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/gardener/soft/tlsource/source/texk/xdvipdfmx'
>>> make  all-recursive
>
> Hi Mojca,
>
> this looks strange!  The expected sequence of events is this
>  make in texk/xdvik
>  configure texk/xdvipdfmx
>  make in texk/xdvipdfmx
> but I don't see the configure in texk/xdvipdfmx.
>
> Thus I suspect that the configure in texk/xdvipdfmx originally failed, but
> nevertheless created a Makefile, and you then once again did 'make'.  Can
> you tell us exactly by what sequence of events you arrived at the result
> shown above.

./configure
./make
[some error reported]
[unrelated: lost connection & local system freeze, so I could not
copy-paste the first report]
./make