[tlbuild] starting builds for 2010

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 23 03:01:56 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

So, it seems to be time to start an initial round of builds for TL 2010
from the current trunk sources.  The basic idea (run "Build") remains
the same, although Peter has done yeoman work on cleaning up and
updating the infrastructure.  http://tug.org/texlive/build.html has the
details, as always.

As for the extras:

- The current version of xz is still xz-4.999.9beta.  I think that's
  what we already have for at least most platforms, but please check for
  yours if you're not sure.
- xindy 2.4 will hopefully be coming, so don't expend any effort if
  current xindy breaks, just disable it.  (Or rather, do not enable it.)
- the current version of asymptote is committed, and please do try to
  build it if you want to provide it.

As for the changes:

- Thanh and Hartmut have made one consequential bug fix to pdftex.  If
  you are up for it, please build pdflatex.fmt with the new binary on
  your platform, and try running the test files attached to
http://sarovar.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4308&group_id=106&atid=493
  It really does require running with a .fmt loaded, unfortunately.

- there is a new version of bibtex with one tiny change, to avoid
  breaking long lines with a %.

- thanks to Akira, Norbert and others, a new engine ptex for Japanese
  typesetting, with accompanying utilities, are included.  It is built
  by default, and hopefully won't cause breakage.

- it would be a good thing to try running make check after the build.
  But if it fails, don't worry overmuch; most likely it's a problem in
  the test scripts rather than the programs.  But still, we want to
  check :).

We won't contemplate freezing the sources and starting to build test
images until at least most platforms have reported success and we're
confident things are reasonably stable.  So please give it a whirl.

Thanks,
Karl