[tlbuild] icu build fails on FreeBSD-5/i386: problem with pthread lib?

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Mar 24 12:13:09 CET 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Nikola Le?i? wrote:

>> maybe we should always use that when building ICU.  For the moment, can you
>> try to add '--disable-threads' (or '--enable-threads=no') at the top-level
>> and see what happens.
>
> Isn't that the purpose of TL_CONF_THREADS variable in Build?

Hi Nikola,

yes the porpose, but this doesn't work anymore (see below). Thus
TL_CONF_THREADS in Build is useless and I have removed it.

>> I don't think we need threaded ICU libraries for TeX Live.
>
> Can you try to disable -lpthread for icu *binaries*? Tweaking mh-bsd-gcc
> and passing --disable-threads through TL_CONF_THREADS seem to have no
> effect on this particular part of the build process.

Ouch. Due to the complicted way to cross-compile ICU, the top-level
configure arguments are not passed on to ICU, but I have explicitly added
'--disable-treads' and now get ICU binaries without threads (r17546).  This
should now also work for FreeBSD.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>