[tlbuild] new build of bibtex/bibtex8: failure when aux file is not in cwd

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Fri Jan 29 09:30:06 CET 2010

On January 12 I retrieved the TL sources via rsync and built the
binaries for a new version of the Arch Linux package "texlive-bin",
which I maintain. Some users have since noticed that between the
previous version, which was built using sources retrieved on September
30 and the latest one, there is a regression in the behaviour of bibtex
(and bibtex8). If the argument (the aux file) is not in the current
directory, bibtex fails with this message:
bibtex: Not writing to /some/dir/basename.blg (openout_any = p).
I couldn't open file name `/some/dir/basename.blg'

This occurs notably with the build script of lilypond and the latex
plugin of gedit.
See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17978 for details.

I checked the svn history for a possible change that might have affected
this, but I am still clueless.
Any idea?

Thanks,
François