[tlbuild] .la files?

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Nov 18 12:20:55 CET 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 11/17/2009 7:59 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Di, 17 Nov 2009, Karl Berry wrote:
>>> Does anyone's system or distro routinely include .la files for library
>>> dependencies?
>>
>> Debian ships them in the -dev packages:
>> libattr1-dev: /usr/lib/libattr.la
>> etc etc etc
>
> It's similar in cygwin, ......

Hi everybody,

it may well be that the .la files are never needed, at least not for
libfontconfig.so (they would certainly be required when linking with
static libraries).  The present default is to completely ignore the .la files
(when linking in texk/web2c/ and texk/xdvipdfmx/). If needed one can
always specify '--disable-libtool-hack' and there is the provision to
reverse that default for particular systems.  So please inform me in case you
encounter such systems.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>