[tlbuild] asymptote search path

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:03:23 CEST 2009

On 11/08/2009, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>     However, instead of getenv I would suggest using system("kpsewhich
>     --var-value=ASYMPTOTE_HOME").
>
> Ok, sounds good, both the name and using kpsewhich (for the kpse
> build, of course), even though it adds one more conditional to John's code.

John already uses this for TEXMFCONFIG, so he only needs to swap it
for ASYMPTOTE_HOME and no further changes are needed.

>     if using ~/.asy by default is more important,
>
> I think it is.  It would certainly surprise all existing asy users for
> their existing .asy directory not to be found, or for the new .asy
> directory to be placed in an obscure TL-specific location.
>
> Like Manuel, I personally don't think it's necessary to remove ~/.asy on
> uninstall -- how could we even tell (in a reasonable way) whether the
> user has put stuff there?  They certainly don't want us to blow away
> their personally handwritten asy files.

But the same can be said about some TL config files, e.g.
<TLROOT>/texmf.cnf is user maintained and yet we trash it on
uninstall. But as I said, I'm biased here, so I won't argue this
point.

Cheers,

Tomek