[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 5 17:21:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Ken Brown wrote:

> The build succeeds if I make the following simple rearrangement in xetex.am.
>
> -xetex_ldadd += $(FONTCONFIG_LIBS) $(XPDF_LIBS) $(LIBPNG_LIBS)
> +xetex_ldadd += $(XPDF_LIBS) $(LIBPNG_LIBS) $(FONTCONFIG_LIBS)

Hi Ken,

thanks a lot. I'll put this into TL later today.

> The resulting link command produced by libtool has the libraries in the
> following order:
>
> [...] /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/icu/icu-build/lib/libsicudata.a
> /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/teckit/libTECkit.a
> /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/xpdf/libxpdf.a
> /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/libpng/libpng.a /usr/lib/libfontconfig.dll.a
> /usr/lib/libiconv.dll.a /usr/lib/libfreetype.dll.a -lz
> /usr/lib/libexpat.dll.a -L/tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/freetype2
> /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/freetype2/libfreetype.a
> /tmp/tl2009/source/Work/libs/zlib/libz.a [...]
>
> Notice that libz and libfreetype both appear twice, with the system libraries
> first in both cases (which I think is what we want), and this causes no
> problems.

And there really shouldn't be any problems. All required symbols should be
resolved from libfreetype.dll.a and -lz making the addition of libfreetype.a
and libz.a from the TL redundant.

> The last remaining problem from my point of view is that static linking with
> libstd++ isn't working.  I might try disabling the cxx hack to see if that
> solves it.  If not, I have no idea.

I assume in the build.log you get
 	checking for statically linking C++ runtime library... not supported
and that is it.

We might want to learn how to do this under Cygwin, first for a small
test program and without Libtool (Libtool has a tendency to reshuffle the
arguments). Once we know that we can certainly extend the present macros (in
kpse-cxx-hack.m4) accordingly.

BTW: in texk/web2c/config.log you can find "checking for statically linking C++
runtime library" followed by the program used to do this kind of test.

Regards
Peter