[tlbuild] Testing cxx-runtime-hack -- V 1.1

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Jan 24 08:35:29 CET 2009

Hi Karl,

On Jan 24, 2009, at 12:21 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>    iostram.h is, according to this page http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.3/porting_to.html
>      , a deprecated header;
>
> I doubt the new replacements are supported in the old compilers/system
> we work on.  And plenty of our existing code uses iostream.h.  We
> can't
> rationally change any of that.
>
> Is it a matter of specifying other compiler flags, or that some
> compatibility package needs to be installed on your system, or it's
> simply and completely not available?  (Which I rather doubt, or no
> compilation of TL would ever have succeeded for you.)

I have changed my system from gentoo to openSuSE, so I'm starting with
a clean slate, so to speak. And there really is no iostream.h on my
system:

gcc --version
gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291]

% locate iostream.h

% locate iostream
/usr/include/c++/4.3/iostream

gcc3.3 is available for this system, so I could try with this older
version.

Thomas