[tlbuild] Patches for building TeXlive with CYGWIN-gcc-3.4.4

Rodrigo Medina rodmedina at cantv.net
Mon Sep 29 06:04:48 CEST 2008

Hi TeXlive team,
I finally succeeded in building TeXlive correctly with CYGWIN-gcc-3.4.4.
One has to make the following patches

1- Use Build --without-graphite
   (This is because the libstdc++ of gcc-3.4 lacks of some symbols  that
    are used by graphite. The same thing happens to xindy)

2- To avoid confusion with the gcc-3.4.4-CYGWIN file /usr/include/features.h
   one has to change the name of .../libs/icu-xetex/layout/Features.h
   (for example by LEFeatures.h). One has also to modify all the files in
   which such name appears,
   in .../libs/icu-xetex/layout/ :
   Features.cpp, GlyphPosnLookupProc.cpp, GlyphPosnLookupProc.h,
   GlyphSubstLookupProc.cpp, GlyphSubstLookupProc.h, LookupProcessor.cpp,
   LookupProcessor.h, layout.vcproj

   and in .../texk/web2c/xetexdir/ :
   XeTeXFontMgr.cpp, XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp

3- Modify .../texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXswap.h
   changing the line:
   #if defined(XETEX_MAC)
   by the line:
   #if defined(XETEX_MAC) || defined(U_CYGWIN)

4- In .../libs/icu-xetex/config/mh-cygwin comment out the two lines
   DATA_STUBNAME = dt
   I18N_STUBNAME = in

5- Modify  ...//texk/web2c/xetexdir/xetex.mk
   changing the line:
   CUCFLAGS = @ICUCPPFLAGS@ -DLE_USE_CMEMORY
   by the line:
   ICUCFLAGS = @ICUCPPFLAGS@ -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION

6- Modify .../texk/web2c/configure.
   a) after the line
   flags_try2='-nodefaultlibs -Wl,-Bstatic -lstdc++ -Wl,-Bdynamic -lm -lgcc
-lc
-lgcc'
   insert the line
   flags_try3='-lstdc++'

   b) substitute the line
   for flags in "$flags_try1" "$flags_try2"; do
   by the line
   for flags in "$flags_try1" "$flags_try2" "$flags_try3"; do

   Thats all.

   NOTE on the influence of these changes on other platforms.
   I am sure that patches #2 and #3 do not influence the building on other
   platforms.
   About patch #4 I am not sure if other platforms (i.e. CYGWIN + mingw)
   also use the file mh-cygwin.
   I belive that patch  #5 is also OK for other platforms, but I am not
sure.
   The best thing is to verify.
   Patch #6 will not have any effect on those platforms in which
   xetex is built correctly and linked statically.

regards
Rodrigo Medina