[tlbuild] [tex-live] x86_64 binaries broken - please test xindy on other systems - see the test attached

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Sat Jul 26 12:26:55 CEST 2008

"MS" == Martin Schröder writes:

 MS> floating point on OpenSUSE 10.2; it was the same for all of tigrans
 MS> binaries.

yes, i also reproduced the floating point error with Tigran's binaries
in the debian etch chroot. it has libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13etch5
on the same machine with libc6 2.7-12 (outside of chroot), i get no
floating point error. in both cases i was running under kernel 2.6.25-2-amd64.

 MS> Linux dream 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp #1 SMP Mon Jan 21 13:29:51 UTC 2008
 MS> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

 MS> glibc is 2.4-31.43.7

i guess the faulty binaries are caused by glibc version on the build host.
e.g. "eu-readelf -n tex2xindy" on Tigran's binary reports:

Note section [ 2] '.note.ABI-tag' of 32 bytes at offset 0x21c:
  Owner          Data size  Type
  GNU                   16  VERSION
    OS: Linux, ABI: 2.6.9

but on binary which i made on etch chroot (with glibc 2.3.6):

Note section [ 2] '.note.ABI-tag' of 32 bytes at offset 0x21c:
  Owner          Data size  Type
  GNU                   16  VERSION
    OS: Linux, ABI: 2.6.0

the binaries you made on SuSE (e.g. "tex") have

Note section [ 2] '.note.ABI-tag' of 32 bytes at offset 0x254:
  Owner          Data size  Type
  GNU                   16  VERSION
    OS: Linux, ABI: 2.6.4

i (and you) can run Tigran's binaries on relatively new linux versions,
which apparently support ABI 2.6.9, but on older linux versions, we get
errors probably because ABI 2.6.9 is not supported by glibc.

there's some discussion about such problem at
http://www.nabble.com/gcc--compatibility-td17396275.html
but i didn't go through to find out a definite answer as to what's going
on in our case.

 MS> It works on 10.3, though.

 MS> Your new binaries work. :-)

i discovered another bug in xindy's binary, - as i said, i was getting a
SIGSEGV, and it turned out it was caused by using regex functions from
clisp instead of system regex.

removing the line #include "clisp.h" from xindy/rte/ordrules/ordrules.h
and recompiling solved the problem. but i'm currently investigating if
it is indeed a clisp's (gllib's) regex bug or something else, to fix it
properly.

since this bug may have affected other systems, i'd like people to test
if xindy works on other architectures in texlive's Master tree.

i've attached a tarball with test file: test.idx
unpack it, set PATH to point to Master/your-arch/
and run "texindy test.idx"

see if it runs without error, it should generate the file test.ind.
compare it with test.ind.orig to make sure it ran correctly.

Please write your test result (tell your arch name and whether it works)
to this list.

Best,
v.