[tlbuild] not building TeX dump files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 29 01:02:46 CEST 2008

I've committed some changes to the TeX Live Makefiles such that
the .fmt/.base/.mem files should never be attempted to be built.
Likewise, updmap, fmtutil, and the like are not attempted to be run.

Given the reality of the current distribution, where the binaries are
divorced from the TeX tree, I can't see how any good can come of ever
trying to make .fmt's.

texlinks is still run from the top-level make install, since that is
necessary to create the complete set of executables.  We now have a
slave copy of fmtutil.cnf in the source tree, installed for just this
purpose.

Let me know if any problems with these changes.

Karl

P.S. Still not quite ready to let everyone loose "for real", but we're
closer than ever before :).  Maybe tomorrow ...