[tlbuild] suggested Build script patch

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed May 28 01:09:01 CEST 2008

I'd like to apply the attached patch to the Build script in texlive/
Build/source, but before touching that script I wanted to check if
anyone sees any possible objections.

The purpose is to set a couple more default options for running the
configure scripts. These are:

(1) --disable-threads : This is for the ICU configure script (in libs/
icu-xetex), to build without thread support. There is no reason to
have thread support in the library we build, as xetex doesn't use it,
and on some platforms it causes additional libraries (e.g.,
libpthreads) to be pulled in. No other configure script in the source
tree recognizes this option, so it should have no other effects.

(2) --with-old-mac-fonts : This is an option for the Freetype2 build
system, to include support for resource-fork-based font files used on
the Mac. It should have no effect elsewhere.

Obviously, builders can set these options on an ad hoc basis as
needed, but I think both of these would make sense to include as
defaults. Any objections?

JK