[tlbuild] xdvipdfmx

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed May 21 20:05:34 CEST 2008

On 21 May 2008, at 5:48 pm, Olaf Weber wrote:

>> The xdvipdfmx configure script is not finding the fontconfig library;
>> see (in build0.log):

>>> checking for fontconfig header files... yes
>>> checking for library containing FcInit... no
>
>> I see you ran configure --with-fontconfig=/usr/freeware; I think the
>> expectation would then be that libfontconfig.so (or whatever it's
>> called on your system) is found in /usr/freeware/lib, and the headers
>> in /usr/freeware/include. Is that what you've got?
>
> It should be looking in /usr/freeware/lib32 (IRIX peculiarity) -- so
> the immediate fix is to change the configure script here as well as
> I did for xetex.  Obviously, until I catch this in an option the
> change is not something that can be checked in.
>
> Thanks for spotting this, it completely explains the build failure.

Aha, that makes sense! I suppose we could try making the fontconfig
test aware of additional places to look, but I'm hesitant to touch
all the auto-* related stuff any more than necessary. Or if you want
to create an additional option to specify the library location,
that's fine.

I have, however, checked in a change to xdvipdfmx's configure script
so that if it fails to find fontconfig, it should now stop with an
error message, instead of trying to proceed with a fontconfig-free
(but basically useless) build. That should make the real problem much
easier to see, if it comes up again.

Thanks,

JK