[tlbuild] xdvipdfmx

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 20 21:57:25 CEST 2008

On 20 May 2008, at 7:59 pm, Olaf Weber wrote:

> Jonathan Kew writes:
>> On 20 May 2008, at 6:44 pm, Olaf Weber wrote:
>
>>> But to give you an idea, these are among the changes I had to make
>>> during my attempts to get things to work.  Are we basically linking
>>> the objects created for use in xetex into the self-contained
>>> binary as
>>> well, even though a "pure" self-contained compile would result in
>>> different configuration options being seen by the C code?
>
>> The code in texk/xdvipdfmx is *only* used in building the
>> "standalone" xdvipdfmx binary; this is not linked with xetex in any
>> way. (When xetex runs, it executes the xdvipdfmx driver as a separate
>> process and communicates with it via a pipe.)
>
>> Is the problem that xdvipdfmx's configure is not finding the
>> fontconfig library and headers on your system? I can imagine that
>> things might be broken in that case. (And although I think it would
>> still try to build, the result won't really be useful; we should
>> probably try and make this a configure-time failure.)
>
> It is finding the fontconfig library and headers (with some
> assistance).  But as noted, I see these #ifdef XETEX and in my case at
> least the non-XETEX branch is taken, and that is broken code.  Where
> is the #define XETEX supposed to come from?

configure is supposed to provide that if it finds fontconfig and
freetype2, IIRC. The symbol name XETEX is a bit misleading, I guess;
it really means "the dvipdfmx extensions that are specific to xetex's
xdv output format and font support".

> The final error I get involves what looks like a problem with the
> freetype headers, but that might be related to the above issue as
> well.
>
> Build logs appended -- note that I had to fix up and restart a few
> times.  Compressed for size, first one has the configure stuff.  Last
> one has the xdvipdfmx failure.

The xdvipdfmx configure script is not finding the fontconfig library;
see (in build0.log):

> checking for fontconfig header files... yes
> checking for library containing FcInit... no

I see you ran configure --with-fontconfig=/usr/freeware; I think the
expectation would then be that libfontconfig.so (or whatever it's
called on your system) is found in /usr/freeware/lib, and the headers
in /usr/freeware/include. Is that what you've got?

This explains why configure didn't define XETEX for the xdvipdfmx
compilation; it didn't find all the prerequisites for the xetex
features. And apparently the code is currently broken in that case.
That's accidental (but not very surprising); in theory, you're
supposed to be able to build a non-xetex-supporting version, but
there's not much point in it.

JK