[tlbuild] xdvipdfmx

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 20 20:08:32 CEST 2008

On 20 May 2008, at 6:44 pm, Olaf Weber wrote:

> But to give you an idea, these are among the changes I had to make
> during my attempts to get things to work.  Are we basically linking
> the objects created for use in xetex into the self-contained binary as
> well, even though a "pure" self-contained compile would result in
> different configuration options being seen by the C code?

The code in texk/xdvipdfmx is *only* used in building the
"standalone" xdvipdfmx binary; this is not linked with xetex in any
way. (When xetex runs, it executes the xdvipdfmx driver as a separate
process and communicates with it via a pipe.)

Is the problem that xdvipdfmx's configure is not finding the
fontconfig library and headers on your system? I can imagine that
things might be broken in that case. (And although I think it would
still try to build, the result won't really be useful; we should
probably try and make this a configure-time failure.)

JK