[tlbuild] clisp building on alpha-linux

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri May 16 07:42:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

we are trying to include xindy in the regular TeX Live builds, but
unfortunately building fails on linux-alpha.

I am doing the compile on a Debian/sarge system:
gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
kernel 2.4.31/35
Digital AlphaPC 164SX 533 MHz

clisp: 2.44.1
ffcall: 1.10
libsigsegv: 2.5

The build terminates with ./lisp.run: Not enough memory for Lisp.

That is not build arguments related, because it happens when I call
lisp.run without any arguments, too:
	$ ./lisp.run
	Cannot map memory to address 0x4000000000000 .
	[/usr/texlive-svn/clisp/clisp-2.44.1/src/spvw_mmap.d:353] errno = ENOMEM: Not enough memory.
	./lisp.run: Not enough memory for Lisp.

Directly after calling the above I did
$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
Mem:        254112     246776       7336          0       3096     79856
-/+ buffers/cache:     163824      90288
Swap:       775832       2320     773512

So swap was hardly touched, so it doesn't really look like a ENOMEM
error, more some problem with the mmap code.

On
	http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Lisp/comp.lang.lisp/2007-12/msg00731.html
der is a remark concerning a EINVAL error, but it sounds to me very
similar:

|    Cannot map memory to address 0x4000000000000 .
|    [spvw_mmap.d:359] errno = EINVAL: Invalid argument.
|    ./lisp.run: Not enough memory for Lisp.
|    gmake: *** [interpreted.mem] Error 1
|
|    =====
|    I have 512 meg in my system.
|    How much memory do I actually need to run Clisp in 64-bit mode?
|

| Wrong question; that's what you ask if you get ENOMEM from mmap; you
| are getting EINVAL. So you have to investigate why. The error message
| suggests that CLISP is mapping at a fixed address.
|
| Unfortunately, that approach is usually a non-starter. The reason is
| that you don't know what regions of the address space are available.
| For a fixed-address mapping to work, it cannot overlap with any
| existing mapping.

Do you have any ideas on what could happen here, and how to fix it?

Best wishes

Norbert