[texworks] Accessability of TexWorks

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jul 30 23:17:30 CEST 2017

On 2017-07-30 at 20:01:52 +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > Jörin Massimo wrote:
 >
 >     I personally find it sometimes really hard to see where the
 >     textcursor is - would it be possible to make the cursor
 >     customizable? Making him bigger, different color / shape
 >
 > Might it help, I wonder, if there were simply a hot key (or hot key
 > combination) which , when pressed, temporarily made the text cursor
 > larger, brighter, bolder, more obvious ?

I don't see any advantage of a hot key.  It would be more appropriate
if the cursor has the same shape and color in all programs.

Furthermore, if the cursor is a rectangle already, I fear that it
can't be enlarged if you want to use existing libraries.  Its width
corresponds to the width of the glyph below it and its height
corresponds to what we call \baselineskip in the TeX world.

Since you considered to make the cursor more noticeable _temporarily_,
there is probably an interesting option.  All GUIs are event driven
and one such event is "the mouse pointer enters the current window".
Maybe it's possible to add a callback to this event which makes the
cursor blink for one or two seconds.  A cursor blinking all the time
(though maybe supported by Qt already) is probably too annoying.

But in the first place the cursor shape and color should be
configurable somehow at all and the default settings should be
inherited from the environment whenever possible.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de