[texworks] [XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Mar 19 10:54:49 CET 2016

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> It's true that only TeX /knows/ whether bad boxes occurred during a
> TeX run.  But TeX passes this knowledge to the log file, hence
> nothing is lost and the log file even provides more information
> (line numbers).

But, as previously pointed out, a TeX program can write to the log file
and simulate (e.g.,) an overfull \hbox message.

> Thus, if TeXworks wants to make use of the information, it's not
> sufficient to determine *that* there is an overfull box, it's
> necessary to determine *where* it is (filename and line number).

Agreed. But it is necessary to do the latter only if the former is true,
whence the original suggestion.

> The most important reason I disagree with your suggestion is that not
> only zillions of engines have to be modified,

"Zillions" ?! I had thought fewer than ten.

> but changes at various places in the souce code are necessary as
> well.  I have the impression that you underestimate the necessary
> effort

Perhaps so.  I have asked in another thread [1] for information on how
to compile and link XeTeX for Windows, and once I have that information
I may be in a better position to assess how easy or how difficult my
suggested change might be.

> and overestimate the benefit.

Perhaps not.

> And I still doubt that there is a benefit at all.

Fair enough.  Others have indicated, both on-list and off, that in their
opinion this particular thread has been done to death.  I agree, and am
happy to leave it at that, unless any further contributions demand a
response from myself.

** Phil.
--------
[1] (paraphrase)

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I'll try to get an experimental patch ready shortly. Or, of course,
> someone else is welcome to try. I don't think it's very hard, but it
> is more than just a single number.

I have never attempted to modify *TeX since it ceased to be compiled as
Pascal (a language which I liked and understood -- the complete
antithesis of my relationship with C); what is involved in compiling
XeTeX these days, with particular reference to compiling for the Windows
platform ?

Philip Taylor