[texworks] Mac OS X: request for testing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Mar 8 13:58:55 CET 2016

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> By the way, another buglet I have observed in TeXworks concerns the behaviour of window bar in each opened file: in any other Mac application, when Command-clicking the title of the window (that is the name of the file which appears in the middle of the title bar), then one has access to the folder where the file resides. In recent TeXWorks this is not the case, but I think previously this was possible (though I am not sure…).
>
> Interesting... though I'm not sure Qt (the window framework Tw is built
> on) supports this. I'd have to look into this, but maybe someone has
> some experience with other Qt applications here.

Howdy,

TeXShop is a Cocoa application (Mac only) and uses Apple's Frameworks which support this feature. TeXworks is a cross-platform application using the Qt Frameworks which don't support some features.

>> Regarding the reasons for which I am more TeXShop oreinted, I should say that the first and main reason is probably old habits, and then the fact that TeXShop has had the time to polish things and become more and more Mac savvy. One example is for instance the printing capabilities, another one is the ability to have a sort of Time Machine on each file, which permits to go back in time to any version from the beginning of the creation of the file, and view or copy whatever source text one may have changed during the time.
>
> That time machine capability definitely sounds interesting. Implementing
> some version control scheme is definitely something to consider, however
> that probably needs a proper "project management" implementation first
> (that lets you track all files belonging to a "project").

Again, this is a result of TeXShop's use of Apple's Frameworks. As Apple introduces features it is almost trivial to add them under those Frameworks; many come with no change in the application at all.

>> Also the concept of Engines in TeXShop is very useful when one desires to use different TeX engines on one’s machine (in my case I use often the beta versions of ConTeXt, along with TeXLive).
>
> AFAIK, Tw has a similar concept (they are called "engines", too, anyway
> ;)). But presumably the engines in TeXShop have more capabilities, I
> presume.
>
> Thanks for sharing this information, in any case!
>
> Best,
> Stefan

I've adapted several of the latexmk engines from TeXShop for use with TeXworks. That can certainly be done with the ConteXt engines, etc.

I admit that I spend most of my LaTeXing time with TeXShop but there are many situations where a cross-platform Front End is very useful.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)