[texworks] New PDF previewer code

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 17:23:46 CET 2016

On 01/02/2016 15:18, Stefan Löffler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently, I finally managed to replace the old PDF previewer code with
> the new QtPDF module programmed (largely) by Charlie Sharpsteen. This is
> a major overhaul that will allow easy implementation of, e.g.,
> continuous page scrolling modes.
>
> For now, everything _should_ work as before, with some significant speed
> improvements at high magnifications by a new rendering mechanism and
> threading support. Builds are available as usual for Windows
> (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5iVT8Q7W44pNDlQVm9uRGpEWHc&tid=0B5iVT8Q7W44pMkNLblFjUzdQUVE)
> and Ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ubuntu/ppa). Note
> that these may contain bugs, so use them at your own risk.
>
> I would very much appreciate any testing of and bug reporting for this
> large code revision.
>
> Stay tuned for new exciting features ;).
>
> Best,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Looks nice but ...

If I start off with just the editor window open and do a TeX run, all is
well: the PDF opens, life is good. However, if I have a document with an
existing PDF and so open both, something goes wrong at the end of the
TeX run: this seems to complete but TeXworks hangs. If I get a source
file which has some (trivial) error in it, a run with the PDF viewer
closed is fine: I get the terminal error, tell TeX to continue and the
PDF then opens. However, if I then do the same run again (no changes)
TeXworks hangs before the terminal shows the line with an issue.
Something not quite right!

Joseph

P.S. Any chance of Mac builds?