[texworks] ! LaTeX Error: File `mathtools.sty' not found.

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 16:20:29 CET 2015

On 11/03/2015 10:51, Niamh Kavanagh wrote:
> I keep getting this error message, when I google the issue is only provides solutions for people using Miktex 2.9.
> I don't think I'm using this, I think I'm just using Texworks alone. Do I need to have Miktex for Texworks to work properly?
> Apologies for my confusion, I've just started.
>
> All the best,
> Niamh Kavanah

TeXworks is a (La)TeX frontend but requires a TeX system: on Windows
that could be TeX Live or MiKTeX. As such, any errors to do with missing
packages are caused by your TeX system. If you are seeing the mathtools
error you almost certainly have MiKTeX and should follow the suggested
fixes.
--
Joseph Wright