[texworks] .cls and .sty files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 6 16:15:37 CET 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 9:01 PM, David Yetter <dyetter at ksu.edu> wrote:

> Their administrator unhelpfully suggested uploading the .cls and .sty files I'm using, but these seem to be provided by TeXworks.  Searching my MacBook Air, both with Spotlight and with the old-style Finder search with both visible and invisible items requested turns up no .sty files at all, and only .cls files I'd installed for a journal my last paper went to.  The manuscript giving trouble is using the amsart document class, but I can find no corresponding .cls file on my machine.

Howdy,

Neither Spotlight or old-style Finder search will ever find anything in your TeX Live distribution (which is what is installed by MacTeX) since they won't search directories that are owned by root.

Did you have to download any special class files, etc., to produce the document? Do you have files in your personal texmf tree (it starts at ~/Library/texmf where ~/Library is the Library folder in your HOME folder---note: that folder is hidden by default in recent versions of OS X and you can get to it by clicking on the Go Menu in Finder and holding down that Opt key to reveal a new menu item)? If not then they are already part of the TeX Live distribution.

Could you send a log file produced when you typeset your document directly to me so I can examine what is being loaded?

Finally, this really has nothing to do with TeXworks but your document and the underlying TeX distribution.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)