[texworks] .cls and .sty files?

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 15:54:28 CET 2015

On 06/03/2015 03:01, David Yetter wrote:
> I've hit a spot of both posting a paper to arXiv.org.  The TeXworks renders the paper into perfect pdf, but when the LaTeX source is uploaded to arXiv.org their TeX processing chokes.
>

> Their administrator unhelpfully suggested uploading the .cls and .sty files I'm using, but these seem to be provided by TeXworks.  Searching my MacBook Air, both with Spotlight and with the old-style Finder search with both visible and invisible items requested turns up no .sty files at all, and only .cls files I'd installed for a journal my last paper went to.  The manuscript giving trouble is using the amsart document class, but I can find no corresponding .cls file on my machine.
>

> Is there a way to access the .cls and .sty files that TeXworks seems to have buried in its innards?

TeXworks is just a frontend: (La)TeX itself is provided by your TeX
system, almost certainly MacTeX in your case. As such, your question is
really one for a general TeX list.

The core MacTeX files live inside /usr/local/texlive/<year>/texmf-dist
and are easiest found via the Terminal, something like

  kpsewhich amsart.cls

to find the amsart class. (Packages end .sty, classes .cls.)

That said, amsart is a very common class so it seems unlikely arXiv has
no version available. Do you get a .log file from arXiv: it might give
more of a clue as to which files you may need to upload.
--
Joseph Wright