[texworks] Adding .xml to the list of file types that TeXworks will display from its "File / Open" dialogue box.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jul 10 21:22:16 CEST 2014

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Most likely
>
>	kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFVAR
>
> would point you there. It's the location where personal configuration
> information would be stored. I would guess TEXMFVAR is configurable
> when you install TeX Live from the script and that is the default
> location.

Your initial surmise is correct, Herb :

> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Windows\system32>kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFVAR
> C:/Users/Chaa006/.texlive2013/texmf-var
>
> C:\Windows\system32>

but it was not an install-time option.  I make a point of
reserving C: for the operating system, and all data files
live on D (as does the entire TeX hierarchy, since it
sadly makes no distinction twixt program and data and
expects to find its data based on relative paths from
the executable ...).

** Phil.