[texworks] Please help!

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Apr 7 03:44:51 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-06 at 18:25:08 -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

 > On 06/04/2014, 5:07 PM, Dona Strauss wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi!  I deleted material from a tex file that I had not intended
 > >     to delete. Is there any way of recovering it?
 >
 > Get it from your backup.
 >
 > Remember the two laws of computing:
 >
 > 1.  Back it up.
 > 2.  Do it now.

Right.  Seems to be too late now.  A deleted file can probably be
recovered but a changed file can't because it's overwritten.  Phil
mentioned "System Restore" which is certainly a Windows tool but I
don't know what it actually does.

However, what you said sounds reasonable but nobody backups his system
if it's too inconvenient.  What you said is often easier said than done.

I strongly recommend to use a version control system.  My favorite is
Subversion:

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/index.html

The advantage of Subversion is that you can submit the current state
of your files to the repository easily at any time.  If you encounter
a problem, you can retrieve any revision, not only the last one.

Don't worry about the documentation.  It's quite verbose but you don't
have to know everything explained there in order to use svn efficiently.

On Windows you have to use

  http://tortoisesvn.net

because Windows still lacks a clear concept of input encodings.  The
rest of the world is using UTF-8 for decades.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112 Marschnerstr. 25 D-30167
Hannover mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de