[texworks] An imperfection of the service routine EPSTOPDF

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Dec 4 00:19:31 CET 2012

On 2012-11-29 at 18:31:31 +0100, Christian Reinsch wrote:

 > ----- configuration info -----
 > TeXworks version : 0.4.3r858 (official)
 > Install location : C:/texlive/2011/tlpkg/texworks/texworks.exe
 > Library path     : C:/Users/Verwalter/TeXworks\
 > pdfTeX location  : C:/texlive/2011/bin/win32/pdftex.exe
 > Operating system : Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 64-bit
 > Qt4 version      : 4.7.3 (build) / 4.7.3 (runtime)

 > The original is file Fig9.eps.
 > When rendered with GSview it shows
 > all characters of font DINGBATS.
 >
 > But when converted of Fig9.pdf then
 > tne characters #128 to #141 are missing!

When I process Fig9.eps with Ghostscript 9.06, no character in this
range is displayed.  GSview is just a wrapper which runs Ghostscript
in the background.  Which version of Ghostscript are you using?

 > With other fonts, e.g. Helvetica, I did not see missing characters.

Text fonts and dingbats fonts use different encoding vectors.  If you
are unfamiliar with encodings, run

  texdoc vntex

and see page 2.

AFAIR GSview provides a menu item which allows to convert PS/EPS to
PDF.  Could you please send me a PDF file created this way?

Both, GSview and epstopdf are wrapper scripts which run Ghostscript in
the background.  If you get different results, the most likely
explanation is that two different versions of Ghostscrtipt are
involved.

Ayway, let's continue the discussion on the texhax mailing list (see
above).  The problem you described is absolutely unrelated to
TeXworks in any way.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25