[texworks] ! LaTeX Error: LaTeX2e command \usepackage in LaTeX 2.09 document.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Oct 28 01:21:25 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-26 at 17:45:21 -0700, Phillip Feldman wrote:

 > I find that I'm unable to use amstex; if I include the
 > command*\usepackage{amstex}
 > *in my document, I get the following error message:
 >
 > *! LaTeX Error: LaTeX2e command \usepackage in LaTeX 2.09 document.*
 >
 > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

In addition to Joseph's response, I propopse to use
\usepackage{amsmath} instead of \usepackage{amstex}.

Don't know why you used \documentstyle and tried to load amstex.sty.
Either you have some experience but didn't use LaTeX for much more
than a decade or you have an old book about an ancient version of
LaTeX.  If the latter is true, donate this book to a museum and use
online documentation instead.

Both, TeX Live and MiKTeX provide a command-line program called
texdoc.  If you type

  texdoc <macro package>

on the command line, you'll get the documentation of that macro
package.  Further documentation can be found here:

  http://tug.org/begin.html

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25