[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

John Hughes jfhext at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 20:48:53 CEST 2012

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at ...> writes:

[...]
> > I'm trying to use TeXworks with TeXLive on a windows box. I'm stuck trying
> > to set the TEXINPUTS variable.
>
> > I have a large project (a book), each chapter in its own directory, and all
> > my latex stuff in a LATEX dir. Short picture:
>
> > book/
> >    Jmaster.tex
>
> >    LATEX/
> >      siunitx.tex
> >      graphicsbook.cls
> [...]
> > ! LaTeX Error: File `graphicsbook.cls' not found.
>

> Simply, don't use TEXINPUT! If you use TeX Live as your TeX distribution
> it is very easy to set up personal (=private) styles, classes, etc.
> So, instead putting all stuff under LATEX in "project" directory put all
> LaTeX files in $HOME/texmf/tex/latex/YOUR_NAME/YOU_PROJECT/.
>
> [...]
> WBR, Vladimir Lomov.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the end, it turned out not to be practical for me
(since the style-files for this book had to be shared among many authors, etc.).

My eventual solution (courtesy of a friend) was this, which I include at this
late date for others who may care about how to make it work:

In my TeXworks preferences, in the typesetting tab, my default
processing tool is:  pdfLaTeX+MakeIndex+BibTeX

Associated with that particular tool is this configuration:

--pdf
--tex-option=-synctex=1
--tex-option=-include-directory=.\LATEX
$fullname

=======
As an alternative, I've also used

--tex-option=-include-directory="C:full path\book\LATEX"

where "full path" is a sequence of folders, and the double-quotes are there to
handle the blanks in various folder/directory names.

I hate having this dependency stuck in the TexWorks settings rather than in some
project-associated file that I could maintain in the book's repository, but
that's life, and this works well enough for now.

--John