[texworks] Embed fonts with ps2pdf - argument parsing problem

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:03:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-07-25 03:48, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> Thanks. I do believe the OP mentioned the problem was platform-specific.

Your files worked for me on WinXP (in a virtual machine) using MiKTeX 2.8.
For the record: gs seems to be in MIKTEXROOT\miktex\bin\mgs.exe and
identifies itself as

MiKTeX GPL Ghostscript 8.60 (2007-08-01)
Copyright (C) 2007 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.

pdffonts TW-test.pdf gives me

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
name                                 type              emb sub uni
object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- ---
---------
ZTNOQL+NimbusSanL-Regu               Type 1            yes yes no
4  0
SDXKYB+CMR10                         Type 1            yes yes no       5  0

So, it indeed seems to be a MiKTeX problem. And again: as long as it
doesn't work on the command line, TeXworks is not the culprit. I'd try
typing the individual commands by hand for testing and see if that works
(i.e., find out if the problem is in the batch file, or in the programs
themselves).

> Incidentally, I can tell the font is not embedded because the TW viewer
> helpfully does not display non-embedded fonts, allowing me to spot the
> problem instantly.

The Tw previewer should be able to handle non-embedded (standard) fonts
(e.g., Helvetica). If it does not display those fonts, there is a problem.
Where did you get Tw from? If MiKTeX, could you try downloading Tw from
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/list?

> As for the gs version, I had version 9.02 installed; as of now I have
> version 9.05 installed.  I don't know how to get TW to use the new
> version- it doesn't seem to be configurable in any of the dialogs.  I
> suspect it has something to do with MikTeX, which is its own abomination
> but not the subject of this thread.

It's not a Tw problem. Tw uses the batch file, and that's all it needs
to know. It doesn't look for gs itself - whatever the batch file does is
used.

HTH