[texworks] xubuntu

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:42:40 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-23 12:17, Jean-Claude Raoult wrote:
> Le 23/07/2012 07:59, Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>> Well, I'm not sure what you mean with "by hand". I used the method
>> outlined at http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html. You
>> only need to download one file, and it does everything else
>> "automatically". The resulting files all went to /usr/local/texlive
>> in my case (with some symlinks in /usr/local/bin).
>
> OK, I have just used this same method, and tried to xetex a single line
> (Ceci est un essai de xetex). Using TeXworks, I had the message:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
>

> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.fmt
>
> I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!
>

> and using the terminal, with command line: xetex test
> Ireceive the same message.
> I checked, and found xetex.fmt in the directory
> /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/web2c/xetex

OK, that's the same place as on my computer.

A few things come to my mind:

1) Permissions
TeX uses "ls-R" files to find things. They are normally generated
automatically using the "mktexlsr" tool. However, if you installed using
sudo but are running the rest as a normal user, these files may not be
updated properly (resulting in TeX not finding files even though they
are installed). Try running `mktexlsr` from a terminal. If it fails with
"permission denied" errors, you have several options:
a) run it with `sudo mktexlsr` (not sure if this works; won't make your
life easier, though, as you'd need to do it manually every time you
change the packages)
b) change permissions on /usr/local/texlive (or at least some
files/subdirectories) so that every user can write to them and then
rerun mktexlsr
c) make yourself the owner of /usr/local/texlive (I used this method for
convenience, but obviously this is not recommended if several users
should use/administer the TeX distro); then rerun mktexlsr

In the end, /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/ls-R should contain
"xetex.fmt".

2) Programs
Try running `which mktexlsr` (or similar) to determine if the right
mktexlsr program is used (i.e., not one still lying around from earlier
attempts, e.g., using synaptic)

3) Try running `mktexfmt xetex.fmt` from the terminal. It might give
more verbose output.

> and I added it to the working directories of TeXWorks.
> No effect.

Yes. This is not an issue with TeXworks, but with the TeX distribution
itself. As long as running XeTeX from the command line does not work,
you don't need to change anything in TeXworks.

> I asked: file xetex.fmt: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max speed.

Same here.

HTH