[texworks] xubuntu

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Jul 23 12:31:10 CEST 2012

Jean-Claude Raoult wrote, On 2012-07-23 12:17:
> Le 23/07/2012 07:59, Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>> [...] Personally, I usually advise against using the "official" Ubuntu
>> channels as they usually don't get updated. If you want to be able to
>> update TeX, and install only the packages you need, unfortunately you
>> have to use other ways.
>>> I shall now try to download "by hand";
>>> but I noticed that TeXlive scatters its children here and there on
>>> the file
>>> system instead of putting its files in a single directory. So I
>>> reckon it will
>>> be difficult.
>> Well, I'm not sure what you mean with "by hand". I used the method
>> outlined at http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html. You only
>> need to download one file, and it does everything else "automatically".
>> The resulting files all went to /usr/local/texlive in my case (with some
>> symlinks in /usr/local/bin).
>
> OK, I have just used this same method, and tried to xetex a single line
> (Ceci est un essai de xetex). Using TeXworks, I had the message:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
>

> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.fmt
>
> I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!
>

> and using the terminal, with command line: xetex test
> Ireceive the same message.
> I checked, and found xetex.fmt in the directory
> /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/web2c/xetex
> and I added it to the working directories of TeXWorks.
> No effect.
> I asked: file xetex.fmt: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max speed.
>
> ???
>
> Thank you for your help, anyway.
>

> Jean-Claude Raoult

this means you have two LaTeX installations on your system, you need to
change the PATH to make sure TL 2012 somes first.

For ubuntu I usually add it at the front of the PATH setting in
/etc/environment (remember to save a copy of this file, as things can go
very wrong if you mess it up).

if <TLPATH> represents the path to latex inside the TL 12 installation,

the PATH setting in /etc/environment should be changed from:

PATH="current"

PATH="<TLPATH>:current"

notice the :

for example on my laptop I have

PATH="/opt/texlive/current/bin/i386-linux:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"

it is important that you do not delete what ever setting was there in
the beginning, you just need to add something.

Log out log in again, then even TeXWorks should be able to find TL12
(provided it looks in the PATH variable on Linux)

--

/daleif