[texworks] epsfigures

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 03:55:47 CEST 2012

Hello,
** Marco Bozzo [2012-06-22 10:12:41 +0000]:

> Good morning,

> I have a file from World Scientific that uses \psfigure  that doesn't run: I have been told that it is because I use "pdflatex"
> Is it there a possibility of runnin latex only in TeXworks?

The TeXworks is not only an editor suited well for TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt
but it also have built-in PDF previewer and most notably the
forward/backward synchronization between source and PDF.

But if you stick to latex (EPS figures is not a problem, problem with
outdated packages and commands like `\psfigure', I could imagine what it
did but I don't know anything about it), you may find this web page
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/AdvancedTypesettingTools
very interesting, especially section "latex->dvips->ps2pdf".

> Or can I add something in the preamble like \usepackage{...

I depends. If you use package distributed by World Scientific in which
command `\psfigure' is used then `\usepackage' don't help here[1], just
use about hint (latex->dvips->ps2pdf). In all other cases, I advise to
use `graphicx' package and the `\includegraphics' command, search the ML
about them (some time ago I post length answer about them).

> Thank you in advance.
> Marco Bozzo

You are welcome.

[1] The TeX is a programming language and LaTeX is macro package, so in
principal you could write a "wrapper" command, i.e. to redefine `\psfigure'
command such so it will use `\includegraphics' and work with PDF
figures. It is ok for one persone, if the document will be send to
publisher I'm not sure if they will be happy with such "hack".

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
"Earth is a great, big funhouse without the fun."
		-- Jeff Berner