[texworks] .dvi to .pdf

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue May 8 18:34:03 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012, Michiel Hazewinkel wrote:

> LS
> It appears that with TeXWorks one can convert .dvi files into .pdf files.

Not exactly. TeXWorks can call other programs to do this task, but you are
probably better off invoking dvipdfmx directly from the command line.

However when I start TeXWorks and open a .dvi file I get a mess consisting
> of bits of text and some 50% of black diamonds with a white question mark
> in the middle; not something that one can read.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

TeXworks is designed to edit plain text files. DVI is not plain text, but a
binary format and as such is not ment to be viewed by human eyes.

 Hope this helps!

-Charlie