[texworks] Space as a hotkey

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:17:03 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-03-17 08:51, Ryszard Kubiak wrote:
> I wonder whether the space character can be used as a hotkey
> to invoke a script. I am thinking of writing a script that
> would on the fly replace the space character with ~, depending
> on a surrounding context.

I don't think so, but I haven't tried. Whitespaces are ignored AFAIK, so
if at all, you should probably use "Space". But still, I don't think
single characters are usable as shortcuts (as they are intercepted
already by the editor).

> A more general question would be whether TeXworks internals
> allow the editor to be extended so that one could define
> their own input method. For example, in Emacs many input
> methods are defined for editing in various alpabets based
> on just ASCII characters. Or, you think that such a feature
> is better to be provided by external, keyboard layout tools?

Following Reinhard's comment, this could be very interesting. E.g.,
press Ctrl+G to switch to greek letters (useful for math/sciency stuff).
It's not straight forward to implement (efficiently), though. Could you
please add it to the issue tracker at Google Code?

Regards,