[texworks] TeXwork is Under-Resourced - Was: LaTeX log parser script

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 02:29:27 CET 2012

Hi,

This whole project is under-resourced, too much falls on Stefan and
Charlie, and very few other volunteers.

If you have a cart that needs three horses, and you only have one horse,
there is no point in whipping the one remaining horse.

People need to realise that this is a real problem - Stefan really does not
have time to send courtesy emails to document maintaners, I do not have
time to scour source code and other sources.

I am counting my self out on all that follows here, so am not trying to
achieve anything for myself ...

The situation is that TeXworks has an absentee Owner/Landlord, while the
roof is not complete, the all the walls are not up. (E.g. Spell checking
development on the HunSpell engine is frozen as TeXworks was meant to be
moving to another spelling engine. So User's have not even been able to
add words to their spell dictionaries, choose alternatives without doing
cartwheels and have no User lists available. - Just one example).  Stefan
long ago identified great improvements to TeXworks that are needed to keep
it up with the play but he and Charlie have no time to implement such
things.

TeXworks is the flagship editor of TUG, now promoted widely, and in
distributions of *TeX.

That means that more responsibility for the needs of the project need to be
borne by the relevant people, office bearers and their organisations. Too
much is left randomly to the availability of TeXworks volunteers who often
end up being treated like fools in the situation.

Either the absentee copyright Owner consistently and actively participates,
or releases the project, and in any event  TUG places it on a proper
FOSS governance model somewhat like Libre Office, or TUG needs to fork the
project (as Open Source under the same license)  and   place it on a proper
FOSS governance model somewhat like Libre Office.

Whatever TUG, and whoever else, need to be approached to see that the
venture is more properly resourced and have no doubt that includes $

It needs web hosting capabilities as perhaps provided by outfits
like HostGator which would enable so much (including php, etc, and editable
wikis, the list is long).  The TeXworks.org domain name could be directed
as such.

It needs proper funding of the developers, (C++ Stefan and Charlie ..., on
sometimes  a  per script basis for Script developers, and documenters
for manuals, C++ api, Script api, (people doing things as Alain, Stefan and
I did). TeXworks can look to the Blender FOSS project for examples of this.

It needs a proper governance model as perhaps like Libre Office with a
board that  builds in a range of people that encompasses Major stake
holders TUG, MiKTeX, TeXLive etc,  C++ developers, documenters,
script extenders, and the all important Users.

TeXworks needs to agonisingly move into the 21st century of OpenSource
models.

Paul