[texworks] Lost Going Native -- Solved! Thank you!

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Feb 22 20:06:36 CET 2012

On 2012-02-22 at 10:37:57 -0500, Adam Frank wrote:

 > So Charlie Sharpsteen nailed it, thank you--so very much and if
 > you're in New York I'll buy you beer!
 >
 > However I am just a little curious about these other features under
 > the Typeset menu which I haven't explored: LaTeXmk, XeTeX, and so
 > on.  How are they different from pdfLaTeX and why does the former
 > still not work though I've downloaded and installed latexmk?  Not a
 > pressing question, so if it's douchey of me to ask potentially
 > difficult-to-explain questions after my problem has been solved, I
 > humbly withdraw.
 >
 > In case it's an easy question, I've done as Paul Norman asked and
 > below pasted the info, and attached said file.

Hi Adam,
didn't you say that you installed TeX Live?  According to your log
file you are using MiKTeX.  TeX Live provides a Perl engine in order
to run scripts like latexmk, but MiKTeX doesn't.

If you've TeX Live running, there is nothing to download/install.

I suppose that you downloaded something but didn't finish the
installation process.  The recommended way to install TL is to get the
network installer and follow the steps decribed at
http://tug.org/texlive .

TeX Live doesn't touch any existing MiKTeX.  After installation it's
the only TeX distribution visible to your system, but it's also
possible to revert to MiKTeX without installing anything again.

In order to see which distribution you are using, run

  tex --version

on the command line or simply look at the top of the log file (very
first line).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25