[texworks] Wishlist for TeXworks 0.4.3+

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:18:11 CET 2012

Dear Felix,

I think that Rheinhard has gathered better what you mean --- are you
suggesting that you want to know where to break lines in
the finished output (say .pdf)  by being able to see a vertical line in the
TeXworks .tex editor?

Under Windows there is a standard api (GetTextmetrics GetTextExtent32 etc
and newer)  for calculating the fonted effect of a portion of
plain ASCII --- however this would not take into account any of the LaTeX
packages that you were using or other effects, and would rely on .ttf or
.otf (and perhaps .ps) fonts only.

Such a calculation could only produce a jagged or zigzag (sometimes
disjointed?) line in a plain text editor like TeXworks, and even if it
could pre-calculate any output  justification -- would constantly be being
redrawn, possibly resource intensive(?) and visually with
its constant alterations, would be potentially quite distracting I suspect.

Just for clarity please --- where would you see this having a usefulness?
What sort of situation?

Would LyX http://www.lyx.org/Screenshots be closer to providing what you
need?

Paul