[texworks] Scripting: GnuWin32 and cross-platform scripting with TeXWork's Script TW.system()

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:23:09 CET 2012

On 16 January 2012 19:26, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2012-01-04 09:51, Paul A Norman wrote:
> > Happy New Year!
>
> Happy New Year to you and the community, too :).
>
> > To facilitate easier cross-platform scripting using the TeXWork's
> > Script system command, I have been looking at using and  recommending
> > this release called GnuWin32...
> >
> >      http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Appreciate any comments or suggestions or recommended alternatives
> please.
> > As list traffic is light at present, thought it a good time to post this
> now.
>
> Yeah, I've stumbled across that project a few times in the past. It
> certainly looks very good, providing many tools commonly found on *nix
> systems to Windows.
> I want to emphasize, though, that this is probably only something for
> (very) advanced scripts (though there it can be extremely handy).
>
> I'm not sure what you have in mind, so I won't go into any detail here.
> It's just a feeling that for a normal user wanting to, say, "make a
> string bold", it would be overkill to have to install several gnu
> utilities. But I guess we agree on that point, anyway ;).

Yes it is more to find a common cross-platform base for additional tasks.

As each thing (using their provided automatic down-loader) needs to be
requested by the User specifically (under guidance form a Script designer)
only the needed/downloaded  things required for any TeXworks Scripts would
need be on the User's system at any point of time.

> It's very interesting to see what the Tw scripting capability is used
> for, however. What was originally drafted more as a playground for
> things like "make bold", it's now used for a lot more and a lot more
> complex scripts.

Yes I think the deployment of the  QtScript UI feature into TeXworks
pointed to some more complex possibilities as well, and the timing
of incorporating QtScript as an ECMA dialect in TeXworks coincided with the
general client-side non-browser flowering of JavaScript, and the many
advances that have been made there on a very wide front.