[texworks] TeXworks & XeTeX : Pinyin u-with-third-tone

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 3 16:29:24 CET 2012

Dear XeTeX & TeXworks users ...

When typesetting this year's Christmas newsletter, I ran into
real problems with the names of one of my friends, who in
Pinyin requires a third-tone u ("ǔ"); neither in TeXworks
nor in the final typeset document could I get this to appear.
In TeXworks, it appeared as a heavy solidus; in the typeset
document, as a blank space. Is this a really rare character
in font terms, and if not, which fonts would you recommend
for (a) TeXworks, and (b) the final typeset document ?  In
the end, I had to substitute "ŭ", which is superficially
similar and easily understood by any reader of Pinyin, but
is not really the right character for the job.

Philip Taylor