[texworks] texworks crashes

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:48:45 CET 2011

Dear Ian,

I, too, am sorry to hear about your problems.

Could you please answer the following questions (they will hopefully
shed some light onto this issue and ensure I understood your problem
correctly):
1) Can you start Tw without opening a .tex file (e.g., from the Start menu)
1a) If yes: so the program hangs when you try to open a .tex file (i.e.,
after you press the "open" button in the open dialog)
2) Have you associated .tex files with Tw?
2a) If yes: can you start Tw by double-clicking on a .tex file?
3) Did you have Python installed on your computer?
3a) If yes: do you have a PYTHONHOME environment variable set (not sure
where to check environment variables in Vista, but if you have set one
you probably know, and if you don't know where to check you probably
haven't set such a variable ;))?
4) Could you try the latest build from
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/list (r952 at the moment)?

If Tw does start up correctly one way or another, could you please send
an example .tex file? (you can send it to me personally if you don't
want it to show up publicly on the mailing list).

HTH
Stefan

PS @ Paul: The service pack (hopefully) shouldn't cause problems in this
case. After all, Tw runs on WinXP and others as well, which are probably
much older than Vista SP1. So I'd try the couple of steps I listed above
first, as they most likely are much faster to test than installing a
service pack ;). But of course you're right, service packs are there for
a reason (e.g., fixing security issues), so one should install them
eventually.