[texworks] Open File from previewer

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 19:29:12 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-11-18 12:00, Ignasi Furió wrote:
> today I've discovered that File->Open from Texworks preview shows
> *.tex in File Type selector.
> It surprised me because I was expecting for a *.pdf list of files. Is
> it intended?

Yes and no.
Right now, there is one, central "open" function, which is invoked from
the editor and the previewer alike (and, on the Mac, from the global
menu when no window is open). As such, there is no (easy) way to change
the list of file types.

In addition, what about the following situation: a user edits one file
of a multi-file document. He typesets it. He is satisfied with what he
sees and wants to move to the next file. To do that, he hits Ctrl+O (or
uses the global menu on Mac or on Ubuntu) and instead of the possibility
to open the tex file, it displays only pdfs.

So, the bottom line is, we can't know for sure what the user wants in
this situation. So for now, I'm somewhat inclined to leave it they way
it is...

Regards,