[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 21 02:45:34 CET 2011

On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:59 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:06 PM, sigmundv at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 23:02, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>wrote:
>>

>>> I don't know how things are with MikTeX but with recent versions of TeX
>>> Live the graphicx package includes epstopdf package and pdflatex has the
>>> ability to automatically do a conversion
>>> file.eps->file-eps-converted-to.pdf and then include that .pdf file even
>>> without using -shell-escape (it uses a highly restricted form of epstopdf
>>> without -shell-escape). Whether this can happen is configurable so MikTeX
>>> may have it turned off. Oh... I believe you must have Ghostscript installed
>>> to use epstopdf.
>>>

>> Thank you for the tip, Herr Schulz. I wasn't aware that graphicx includes
>> epstopdf.
>>
>> /Sigmund
>

> Howdy,
>
> What you should be able to do is to add the epstopdf package after the graphicx package and also setup -shell-escape (I have no idea what you must do to use that under MikTeX).
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Here's a bit more information. The information is mostly universal. The only things that are Mac OS X and MacTeX specific are the section on using Apple's distiller rather than Ghostscript and the location to place the epstopdf.cfg file so that TeX can find it.

Finally, the section on tif(f)->png conversion uses the `convert' utility from ImageMagik to actually do the conversion.

Both Ghostscript and the convert utility are installed by the MacTeX installer by default.