[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 : where is the transcript file

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:57:59 CET 2011

On 2011-11-13 17:24, heck.johannes at googlemail.com wrote:
> Another great feature in TeXworks could be, if it displays the log
> file in a seperate window/tab and could parse the LOG file for
> Erros/Warnings with given line numbers, that it can "sync" those two
> windows (You Ctrl+Click on the Error and TW focuses on the line in the
> source file where this error occured).
> But likely the .log-files aren't standardized enough to be parsed in
> this way, or am I wrong?

I assume so. We already have a relatively hard time parsing the console
output as it is.
In principle, though, I agree. There could be lots of useful things that
could be added to a dedicated log viewer component. However, ATM, the
focus is elsewhere (e.g., in improving the core components editor and
previewer), so this is not likely to happen any time soon.

Besides, as I wrote previously, many things that a user normally
stumbles over can be solved simply by looking at the console output. So
while the log file certainly provides much more output, I would consider
a log viewer a definite expert feature that might help power users
somewhat (not providing any functionality that couldn't be provided by
hand, e.g., looking up line numbers), but would be left alone by most users.

Cheers,
Stefan