[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 : where is the transcript file

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:44:55 CET 2011

On 2011-11-13 03:27, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> However, IMO the way TW treats .log files ATM is more than
> unfortunate.  By default, the File->Open dialog box displays .tex
> files only.  You can change the filter but unfortunately .log files
> appear under "Auxiliary files", which contains all the files LaTeX
> uses internally.
>
> This is notthe proper place.  .log files are supposed to be read by
> humans, all other files under "Auxiliary files" are supposed to be
> read by a program.  There are many filters, even for .sty and .cls
> files, which no "normal" TeX user needs, but there is no filter for
> .log files.  Seems that TeXworks tries to hide .log files.

Fair enough. In r950, I moved log files to a separate filter.
I did not pick up your idea to put it into "TeX documents", however, for
a couple of reasons:
 - they are no TeX documents, they are logs
 - LaTeX documents (*.ltx) are separate as well - this can probably
argued about by itself, but as long as this is the case, I see no point
in merging log files with one of them
 - while log files provide very valuable information when things go
wrong, I guess most users (for whom things don't go wrong so badly that
they seek help on mailing lists) prefer to leave files they have not
created (and possibly don't even know the exact purpose of) alone.

Cheers,