[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 : where is the transcript file

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Nov 13 03:27:15 CET 2011

On 2011-11-12 at 09:35:35 -0800, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

 > On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
 >
 > > I am surprised, though, that TeXworks appears
 > > to lack the "Document/Log file" feature of
 > > WinEDT, with which I am more familiar.
 > >
 > > ** Phil.
 > >

 > If TeXworks is missing something you find necessary, feel free to
 > add to the source code or write a script that fills the gap.

Charlie, everybody knows that Phil is an experienced TeX programmer
but not familiar with languages like C or QtScript.  I'm not familiar
with them either, and I suppose that many other people on the list can
only make suggestions but not contribute code themselves.

Admittedly, I don't think that TeXworks has to behave exactly as
WinEDT and I don't know what the "Document/Log file" feature of WinEDT
actually does.

However, IMO the way TW treats .log files ATM is more than
unfortunate.  By default, the File->Open dialog box displays .tex
files only.  You can change the filter but unfortunately .log files
appear under "Auxiliary files", which contains all the files LaTeX
uses internally.

This is notthe proper place.  .log files are supposed to be read by
humans, all other files under "Auxiliary files" are supposed to be
read by a program.  There are many filters, even for .sty and .cls
files, which no "normal" TeX user needs, but there is no filter for
.log files.  Seems that TeXworks tries to hide .log files.

I personally prefer that the default filter supports .log files too.

  TeX documents (*.tex *.log)

The reason is that on various mailing lists we ask people to send us
their .log files if we need more information.  In an ideal world
people read them theirselves before asking.  It's required that the
.log files are more visible and easy to access.  Please note that they
contain much more information than what TeX prints to screen.

Sure, making (*.tex *.log) the default results in more files to be
displayed.  However, I'm convinced that .log files are very important
and people are smart enough not to put all their projects into a
single directory.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25