[texworks] Drop of Python scripting support

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:01:34 CET 2011

On 2 Nov 2011, at 08:48, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Dear Paul / all  --
>
> Paul A Norman wrote:
>> P.S. Incase it caused any confusion, when I wrote:
>>
>> ' In TeXworks, your "error log " ''
>>
>> is actually labelled "LaTeX errors" on its tab in TeXworks.

(Paul, I'd guess that Philip isn't running LaTeX, and so is unlikely to get errors presented in that form even if the script is installed and enabled.)

> I have just re-processed "A3-Poster.tex" and once again have
> received a number of warnings concerning "Invalid ICC Profile".

These are messages generated by xdvipdfmx while embedding graphics of some kind (JPEG files, maybe?). As they're not generated by the (xe)TeX engine, they don't end up in its "transcript file"; they're only written to the terminal window (which in texworks means the "output panel" at the bottom of the source window).

> These have, once again, disappeared at the end of compilation,
> and I can find no "tab" (or menu entry) labelled "[La]TeX
> errors".  Where may I find a permanent record of these warnings,
> and does anyone know why (a) they do not remain on-screen at
> end of compilation,

TeXworks doesn't consider that the run ended with an error (based, IIRC, on the exit code from the engine that is run), and so by default it hides the output panel when the process finishes. You can re-open it manually (from the Window menu, I think) to see what was written there, whether errors, warnings, or just progress messages. You can also turn off the preference to automatically hide it at the end of the run.

> and (b) they are intermittent -- some runs
> produce them, others do not, and the source file remains unchanged
> throughout ?

That I don't know. Maybe they're always generated, but the timing is such that you don't always see them before the console panel is hidden?

JK